This is information about who we are, and how we use any data.
Who we are
Mad Hatter’s Children’s Charity is a charity and a company. Please contact us if you have any queries regarding the information below, or enquiries regarding data we may hold.
- How does Mad Hatter’s Children’s Charity collect data?
- enquire about our activities or service offerings;
- use our services;
- subscribe to one of our e-newsletters
- make a donation to us;
- tell us their stories, or attend one of our events;
- email us.
- from a friend or relative who wants to access our services on behalf of a family member;
- from a carer who wants to access our services on behalf of someone they have responsibility for;
- from a school who wants access to our activities for a child they have responsibility for;
- from other organisations that have consent to share the information with us;
- from someone we run a joint event with.
If we receive information from these other sources, we will only retain that information where there is a clear need, and use it only in a way that is in line with the original consent given.
Where specific and genuine consent by the individual, or those legally responsible for the individual, is required to retain data, then we will ensure this is informed consent. Informed consent is either when you have received sufficient information on why the data is needed and how it will be used, and then give consent, or that it is clear and unambiguous that the information you give will be used for a specific purpose.
- What data does Mad Hatter’s Children’s Charity collect?
- e-mail address;
- postal address;
- telephone number;
- payment details if someone makes a donation or payment;
- stories and photographs about people such as fundraising or volunteering activities
- personal information (including medical information), but only if that information is necessary for us to deliver a specific activity
- it is required for the specific purpose notified or
- it is required for the purpose that is clearly apparent from the circumstances in which people provide their data.
- How does Mad Hatter’s Children’s Charity use the data?
- to provide the services, products or information requested;
- to contact people about our future events and services where they have agreed that we may do so (as applicable);
- to contact people about fundraising initiatives where they have agreed that we may do so (as applicable);
- to process payment details if they make payments;
- to plan future activities.
We will only use personal data to provide the services, products or information that have been requested.
Does Mad Hatter’s Children’s Charity pass on the information to third parties?
We may sometimes use third party providers, such as an online newsletter service or mailing service. These are known as Data Processors. In these instances only the specific data needed to fulfill the task will be used, and only when this data will be held securely and not passed to other parties.
We may share generic and anonymised data with other parties in order to monitor services and develop new projects. An example of this might be numbers of people applying for types of services, or attending events. Specific information about individuals will not be passed on.
We may need to disclose data if required to do so by law. We may also pass on data if we merge with another entity. In that instance all people that are included will be informed of this.
How does Mad Hatter’s Children’s Charity protect personal data?
We have in place appropriate procedures and technologies to maintain the security of all personal data from the point of collection to the point of destruction.
We also take appropriate measures to ensure that the data disclosed to us is kept secure, accurate and up to date and kept only for so long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used. We will take all reasonable steps to destroy or suppress, or erase from our systems, all data which is no longer required. We may also contact people from time to time in order to ensure that our records are correct and up-to-date including marketing preferences.
Information and records held in paper form are accessible only to authorised staff and/or volunteers. Data held online is only accessible through password-protected profiles.
Information will be stored for only as long as it is needed or required by statute and will be disposed of appropriately.
Mad Hatter’s Children’s Charity will ensure all personal and company data is non-recoverable from any computer system previously used within the organisation, which has been passed on or sold to a third party.
The rights of people we hold data about
People have the right to ask for a copy of the data we hold about them and to have any inaccuracies in that data corrected. They also have the right to ask us to stop using data for direct marketing purposes or prevent processing that is likely to cause damage or distress. The data subject has the right to withdraw his or her consent at any time, and it shall be as easy to withdraw as to give consent.
This does not necessarily mean all personal data will be erased as some data may need to be retained for other purposes (such as financial records) or to record the fact that a person no longer wants to receive mailings. It does however mean that the data can no longer be used for the purposes the consent was initially given.
We shall also comply with any additional rights given to data subjects under new or modified legislation.